Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Clinique Turnaround Instant Facial Review

I got a sample of Clinique's Turnaround Instant Facial with my Turnaround Concentrate purchase. Based on my experience with the Turnaround serum and moisturizer, I was super excited to try out the Instant Facial. I expected it would make my skin even more radiant than the serum and moisturizer together. It would be a complete 3 step skin care regiment.
In 5 minutes, this high-performance facial delivers all the radiance and smoothness of microdermabrasion-with significantly less irritation and stress to skin. Promotes surface cell turnover on multiple levels to instantly unveil skin that's fresher, more vibrant and even-toned. Oil free. Use 2-3 times a week for an instant brightness boost.
Turnaround Instant Facial comes in a standup blue tube. The exfoliator is a shimmering white with tiny little microbeads.

I read some reviews in anticipation of what I could look forward to... and noticed a reviewer mention glitter.... I immediately forgot about it and went to test out my little sample. After putting the Instant Facial on in the shower, I went about the rest of my showering routine. Then I noticed the loud undeniable sparkling on the tips of my finger (that I used to apply the exfoliator) and the palm of my hand (where I put the exfoliator).

There is glitter in this facial wash. While I may enjoy applying and spritzing on sparkles during the day (as my many shimmering highlighter reviews can attest to) I absolutely loathe finding sparkles (or any other unnecessary product) in my cleansers. The whole point of a cleanser is to clean. How is clean skin possible when there are leftover specks of glitter on the skin that no amount of rinsing can get off?? I'd like to wash my skin and go about the rest of my facial routine, not look like I need to don on party clothes and glitter like a disco ball.

Yes, there is an excessive amount of glitter (not fine shimmer, but glitzy glitter) in the product.  Not only is the glitter extremely noticeable, it is extremely hard to remove. Repeated rinsing couldn't get it off.

The glitter residue... after rinsing.

I finally managed to get rid of the glitter on my hands by using an exfoliating sponge. However, I couldn't take that sponge to the delicate skin on my face. I tried gentling rubbing my face while standing under the open shower and all I could think of was "I'm probably getting giant chunks of glitter into my pores...."

I cannot express enough of my extremely dislike of this product. I do not recommend it. The only time I can ever see it working is maybe if I'm already planning on using sparkles on the skin and I want to add an extra kick of glitter before I apply shimmer powder. Even then all I can think of is "This facial scrub is clearly not non comedogenic...."

I also revisited the reviews for the Instant Facial and agree with some of the points brought up. With all the sparkling happening on your skin, it will look like the exfoliator actually did something to improve the condition of your skin. In reality, all the Instant Facial did was add hard-to-remove glitter on your skin so it looks like your skin condition is improved and glowing. It's just glitter tricking your eye!

I know this is also a new formulation along with the new Turnaround serum formulation. I wonder if the old Instant Facial had glitter in it too? Until this is glitter-free, I must advise people to stay far away from it.

All photos (c) Little Luxuries 2013.

No comments: