Monday, January 28, 2013

Clarisonic Pro Care Guide

After investing so much money in the Clarisonic system, it is pivotal to keep it in good working condition. The user guide recommends washing the handset and brush head with soapy water once a week. Clarisonic also recommends replacing the brush head every 3 months.

Along with Clarisonic's recommendations, I have developed my own method of caring for my Pro based on tips I have read and experimented with. In addition to washing with soapy water, I rinse the handset and brush head with hydrogen peroxide. I once left the brush head submerged in hydrogen peroxide for about half an hour and noticed a film of skin cells at the end of the soak. The hydrogen peroxide really helped in getting rid of build up on the brush heads.

Reviewers have also cautioned about leaving the Clarisonic in the bathroom. There are areas in the handset that can grow mold. Left in the bathroom, the warm moist atmosphere encourages mold growth. Though I regularly store the Pro outside of the bathroom, I forgot it in the shower 3 nights in a row. I noticed a slightly pink tinge on the inside of the handset (where the brush head attaches). It was the beginning of mold! I had to pry loose the rubber ring and clean underneath that to get all the pink slime out. It was quite disgusting.

As for the brush head, I personally think as long as you keep it in clean with soapy water, it will last a long time. Disinfecting it every week helps too. Changing the brush head every 3 months is solely at the user's discretion. I notice that when my brush head doesn't seem to be performing as well, a quick wash with soap and water will improve it's performance drastically. You can also tell how much build up has accumulated by how much soap you need to use on the bristles before it feels clean.

I would love to hear other tips too!

No comments: