Friday, January 4, 2013

An IPL Jouney with the Remington i-LIGHT (Part 2 Review)

Before using my i-LIGHT, I tried to remember all the user tips I read about Boots Smooth Skin. Granted these are two different machines by two different companies, but they have extremely similar functions with a similar layout. I figure it wouldn't hurt to try to utilize this tips for the Remington as well.

These are some of the most noteworthy tips I recalled from various users:
  • Wear sunglasses to protect the eyes from the excessive light.
  • Do not go into the session after a close shave, it is ideal to have just a bit of scruff. (The idea being that if there is no hair on the surface of the skin, it will be harder for the IPL to transmit to the hair follicle.)
  • Wait time between sessions varies from person to person. Some people use their IPL every other day if their skin type can withstand it.
  • Use white eyeliner on your body as a guideline. You can keep track of which parts of your body have been treated.  
After grabbing a pair of sunglasses, I sat down to start my first session. I left just the tiniest bit of stub on my right leg and underarm. I turned on the machine and tried to unlock it. I waved the back of my hand over the skin sensor. It stayed orange and beeped at me. I tried it again. It beeped at me. I moved up to my forearm. It beeped at me. I finally pressed my inner elbow to the machine. It chirped and turned green.

For the entire 5 minutes I tried to unlock the machine, I mentally made a list of various body parts I would try to use if my inner elbow failed. Just out of sheer perversity, I locked the machine and tried with my hands again. I had a vain hope it was a fluke the first time. No, it was not, but my inner elbow unlocked the i-LIGHT with ease.

Now Remington advises users to start at the lowest setting and work to higher settings if desired. Many users and even the instruction video claimed the highest setting would be like a snapping rubber band against skin. Unfazed, I decided to set it at the highest setting. I, poor deluded creature that I am, believed myself to be a tough pain enduring ninja.


I started with my underarm. I pressed the handset on my underarm, waiting for the chirp that indicated full skin contact, and pressed the button to activate the IPL. On level 5, the highest setting. I jumped. It felt like someone had quickly stabbed me with lots of little white hot needles. I turned it down to level 4. Unfortunately, it still caused a bit of discomfort. I set my third flash on level 3. That was just right. Enough discomfort, but not enough that I couldn't endure it. With that, my underarms were quickly done in 2 minutes.

I treated my leg in the same manner. I figure it was less sensitive than my underarm, so I started on level 5. It was a bit uncomfortable so I changed it to level 4 after the first flash. I finished my legs in about 5 minutes.

Within seconds of starting, the room filled up with the intense smell of burnt hair. It didn't bother me much and disappeared quickly after I finished. I was extremely glad I put on sunglasses. I have sensitive eyes and the IPL flash was very bright even through sunglasses.

Afterwards, I cleaned the handset with the little cloth they included with the machine.

All photos (c) Little Luxuries 2013.

No comments: